Turkish Law Blog
Nihan is a London based lawyer with proven experience working in fast paced and demanding environments. Her recent roles in international law firms in London and Istanbul provided her with extensive experience in different areas of the Law, including Data Protection. Additionally, has completed a Master's degree in International Commercial Law in the Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge which focused in the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018).
Lawyer, Feb 2019 - Present
Nazali Tax & Legal Services
Joined the Nazali Tax and Legal Services International firm, working as lawyer and focusing mainly on:
- Providing consultancy services on the separation of personal from company data and data classification
- Providing legal advice under the European Union Data Protection Directive (GDPR)
- Providing consultancy services on the creation of personal data processing inventory.
- Establishing personal data storage, destruction and data security policy based on personal data processing inventory
- Revising the company's contracts and, if necessary, the negotiations between the contracting parties on relevant issues and preparation of additional protocols
- Providing consultancy services on the establishment of mechanisms to ensure data security
- Providing legal evaluations in the transfer of personal data domestic and abroad and establishing necessary contracts within this framework.
- Establishing mechanisms in the context of Company Law with regard to the sharing of responsibilities stipulated in the companies as a data controller/ data processor
- Providing consultancy services on the lawfulness of electronic surveillance methods such as surveillance with camera, electronic and bio metric input and time determination, electronic location (GPS) and monitoring of electronic communication in the workplace
Paralegal, Sep 2018 - Jan 2019
Mergul Law, London, United Kingdom
Joined the Mergul Law international firm in London, focusing mainly in:
- Company Law and Corporate Governance
- Immigration Law
- Drafting Legal Documents
Lawyer, May 2015 - Jun 2016
Calıskan Kızılyel Toker Law Firm, Istanbul, Turkey
Joined the International law firm Calıskan Kızılyel Toker on May 2015, focusing mainly on:
- Due Diligence
- Legal Research
- Criminal Law
- Commercial Law
- Enforcement Law
- Drafting Legal Document
- Case File Preparation Attending Trials in Civil Courts
Summer Intern, Jun 2011 - Aug 2011
Başarır Hukuk Bürosu - Lawyers Group, Istanbul, Turkey
Worked as a summer intern during my studies as interim lawyer focusing mainly on:
- Legal Translation (Legal English)
- Litigation Maritime Law
- Legal Research
- Criminal Law
Education & Training
Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Master of Laws – LLM, International Commercial Law, Sept 2017 - Aug 2018
Completed the Master's degree program in International Commercial Law in Cambridge. My dissertation focused and compared provisions between e-commerce and internet based related affairs of General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 (“DPA 2018”) and the Turkish Personal Data Protection Law. In addition, it emphasised the exemptions of provisions of the DPA 2018 which are not including in the GDPR.
- Corporate Governance
- Law in the Global Context
- Commercial Contracts
- Transnational Commercial Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Legal Research Methods
Yeditepe University Faculty of Law
Bachelor's Degree in Law, Sept 2009 - April 2015
Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Law
The London School of English, London, United Kingdom
Legal English Course, Jul 2016 - Jun 2017
Completed the Legal English course in the London School of English in London, United Kingdom
Kaplan Pli, Toronto, Canada
English Language Programme, Jun 2010 - Aug 2010
Completed an English language programme in Toronto, Canada.
Interests & Activities
- A keen volunteer, actively participating in activities including: Nature conservation events including tree planning, volunteering in a local orphanage helping the children with their education, volunteering as a lawyer in the local and national elections.
- Strong interest in politics
- Enjoying swimming and running.
- Value of Personal Data in IoT- Industry Workshops, London.
- GDPR Training LDN, London.
- Data Rights Finder Hackday, London.
- Communicating GDPR compliance, London.
- UKA DATA4GOOD, London.
- Legaltech Revolution: The Way Forward, London..
- Avondale M&A Masterclass: How to buy and sell a business, London.
- Legal Professional Privilege: A Conversation with Lord Neuberger, London.
- Reading Law& More – ‘Before the Law’, London.
- Legal Practice Conversation Series: Simon Davis in Conversation with Daniel Monk, London.
- Leadership; I have been chosen to represent my peers in several occasions as a university liaison student representative.
- Strong Legal writing skills; I have developed my legal writing and academic essay-writing during my studies at Anglia Ruskin University. In addition, I have prepared and translated several international legal agreements
- Strong communication skills.
- Problem solving.
- Team work.
- Quick learner.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Package.
English : Full working proficiency